Features Introduced in HTML 5
• Semantics: Html 5 has introduced new tags which help in adding semantic value to the page. The new tags help in understanding the structure of the document. It helps you in recognizing the various parts of the html page such as the header, footer, section aside etc. at a glance. One doesn’t have to go hunting for the various sections of the page.
• Consistency: Html 5 aims at adding greater consistency. Web developers have to usually test the malformed documents in various browsers and accordingly sort out the errors. Html 5 is attempting to discover and codify error handling. As standardizing will help display pages consistently.
• Cleaner code: Introducing the semantic HTML 5 elements will greatly reduce the use of div tags, which will make the code look much cleaner and neater. This will also make it easier to understand.
• New tags: New tags introduced are for various purpose. Some of the new structural elements are aside, figure, and section. The new inline elements include time, meter, and progress. The new embedding tags are video and audio. New interactive elements include details, datagrid, and command. These new tags will specifically identify the constructs of the page.
• Doctype: The doctype used in html5 is <!DOCTYPE HTML>.
• Video: Video feature supported by html 5 is one of the features which is in limelight. It will help you embed the video with a fewer lines of code. The video element aims at being the standard feature of embedding the video. Previously one required many lines of code, now embedding of the video can be done with fewer number of lines. Support for this video element is still evolving.
• Audio: Similarly, audio element helps you to play audio files with just a few lines of code.
• Contenteditable: Contenteditable is the new attribute introduced by html 5.Using the contenteditable attribute one can edit the page without any editor. It will enable the user to perform some basic actions such as cut, paste.
• Geolocation: Geolocation is another key feature. Using this feature along with location technologies such as GPS,IP address, RFID (Radio frequency ID), Wi-Fi , Bluetooth MAC address and GSM/CDMA cell IDs one can identify the location. This will help the websites to find the location information via browsers. It provides an interface with a function that will receive the longitude and latitude information to the website.
• Application cache: Application cache is another feature introduced by html 5. This feature helps you to browse offline, speedes up things and reduces the load on the server. When a website is being built, you can specify the web pages that you want to cache. As the pages are already cached it will help you browse offline. The pages will load much faster since they already cached. If the cached files are not updated then one does not require download them again. By doing so the load on the server is reduced
• Downsides: The downsides of html 5 are that the spec is not ready is likely to change and not everything is supported by all browsers. One will require to download the browser that will support the technology. It has a very limited support for the media formats. It will take sometime before it’s completely evolved.